Chinese pork giant fires chairman’s son from board over aggressive behaviour

Read full article

WH Group, the world’s biggest pork producer, has removed the chairman’s son from the board and terminated his employment, citing his aggressive behaviour against the company.

Wan Hongjian, 52, son of the chairman and CEO Wan Long, 80, was stripped on Thursday of his roles as executive director, deputy chairman and vice-president, based on the company’s “amended and restated” articles of association, it said in a filing to Hong Kong’s bourse.

The company said that Wan was unable to fulfil his duties as a director “due to his recent misconduct of aggressive behaviours against the company’s properties”. It did not elaborate on the circumstances.

“The board considers that the removal of Mr Wan will not have any significant adverse impact on the group’s operations,” the statement said.

A company spokeswoman declined to provide details on the nature and type of misconduct or behaviour.

His removal comes less than two weeks after the company said it would set aside nearly HK$15 billion (US$1.93 billion) to
buy back 13 per cent of its shares

 at a premium, as its stock has underperformed the market since last year.

WH Group has been under pressure over the last two years as the Chinese meat processor has struggled with rising pig costs following the outbreak of
African swine fever
South China Morning Post
Read full article Share on twitter