Five workers were taken to hospital after a chemical leak at an Anglesey abattoir.
The 2 Sisters chicken processing plant in Llangefni was evacuated following the incident.
Food group 2 Sisters confirmed that there was an ammonia leak at the Llangefni factory this morning.
The site was evacuated and five workers taken to hospital by ambulance as a “precautionary” measure.
The factory is now operating as normal again.
Unite the union has called for an urgent inquiry into the incident.
A 2 Sisters spokesman said: “We can confirm that there was an ammonia leak at our Llangefni factory this morning.
“Colleague safety is our number one priority, the factory was evacuated as per emergency protocols and the fire brigade and ambulance service quickly attended.
“The fire brigade advised when the building was safe to re-enter and they have now left the site.
“Five colleagues have been taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
“The factory is now operating as normal.”
Three ambulances and two rapid response vehicles were called to the 2 Sisters poultry plant factory just after 9am on Monday.
Owen Hughes / Business Live Read full article Share on twitter