Meat Hygiene Inspector – Brechin or Perth – £120-£150 per day – Disclosure Scotland Required
Information about the Business Area
The FSS Operational Delivery Branch organises and manages the delivery of Official Controls (OCs) in approved meat establishments – slaughterhouses, game handling establishments and cutting plants.
Information about the Role
The Meat Hygiene Inspector (MHI) role is one of the key front-line operational roles within the FSS. These staff deliver Official Controls (OC) in approved premises across Scotland, ensuring that meat produced is safe for human consumption. The core work for the Meat Hygiene Inspector is the delivery of Official Controls for related to meat oproduction in Red and White meat slaughterhouses and Game handling establishments (GHE’s) within Scotland. At all times an FSS MHI works under the technical direction of an FSS Official Veterinarian (OV) wh is the technical lead for field teams in the post mortem inspection and verification of the Food Business Operator’s (FBO) compliance with all relevant legislation as stated in the FSS’s Manual for Official Controls (SMOC).
- Ante Mortem (AM) Inspection, Animal Welfare and Animal Identification
- Assist the OV in the delivery of practical tasks as defined in the SMOC.
- Verify that animals are properly identified and take any necessary actions.
- Post Mortem (PM) Inspection, Specified Risk Material (SRM) & Animal By Products (ABP)
- Carry out post-mortem inspection to determine if the carcases and offal presented are fit for human consumption in accordance with SMOC and with due consideration to any FBO processes which have been approved by the FSS
- Identify and put aside uncommon conditions for further inspection by the OV.
- Verify that carcase meat and offal rejected as unfit is removed, stored and disposed of in accordance with ABP regulations.
- Maintain an accurate system and record of post-mortem inspections and findings.
- Identification Marking
- Verify the FBO application of the identification mark.
- FSS Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Correctly collect and despatch samples for disease, conditions and residue purposes.
- Carry out duties stated under the terms of SLA agreements with Other Government Departments and agencies as defined in the SMOC.
- Gathering Audit and Enforcement data
- Collect information regarding Good Hygiene Practice (GHP) and HACCP based procedures as directed by the OV.
- Assist with the accurate recording and collection of data and any other operational information required by the OV.
- Food Chain Information and Collection and Communication of Inspection Results
- Assess Food Chain Information and take action as appropriate.
- Record post mortem data and disseminate inspection data back to the FBO and primary producer.
- Food Business Operator Liaison
- Seek to establish and maintain effective working relationships with plant staff at all levels.
- Communicate decisions regarding post mortem inspections in consultation with the OV.
- Communicate and control issues found during the inspection of FBO good hygiene practices and HACCP based procedures.
- Team Involvement
- Ensure compliance with internal FSS policies and procedures
- Adhere to the FSS Professional Standards document
- Meet all standards laid down in the FSS Customer Service Statement.
- Maintain confidentiality of internal FSS communications and commercially sensitive information and practices in line with Scottish Government information security guidelines.
- Maintain high standards of personal hygiene, professional integrity, personal motivation and work closely with other team members to ensure FSS demonstrate best practice standards
- Identify and drive personal training and development needs, and undertake any compulsory training topics set by the FSS
- Demonstrate commitment to FSS equal opportunities policies and procedures through the use of appropriate behaviours and attitudes.
- Contribute and interact within FSS in-plant team meetings to help drive and develop team standards, ways of work and team performance
- Accurately input data and information (business and personal) into appropriate IT systems.
- In the absence of OV or Operations Manager, ensure the set procedures are followed and standards maintained.
- Assist in the management and provision of protective work wear.
- Any other duties as reasonably required and requested to meet team or FSS organisational needs in the delivery of service standards and technical compliance.
- Health and Safety
- Undertake duties fully in accordance with FSS Health & Safety Policy; report all accidents and potential hazards in accordance with FSS Health & Safety Policy to the OV and Operation Manager.
- Ensure any safe working instructions contained in the plant Induction form are personally followed and complied with.
- Red & White meat inspection Qualification or equivalent
- Level 3 HACCP qualifications are desirable and will need to be obtained within 6 months of appointment.