More detailsMore details Share on twitter
You’ll hear us refer to our Abattoirs as ‘Woodheads’ which is one of the best known names in the British meat industry, with a history of over 100 years. Today it is a wholly subsidiary of Morrisons and we’re still the only major supermarket to have it’s own abattoir and meat processing operations. We have three sites in Spalding (Lincolnshire), Colne (Lancashire) and Turriff (Aberdeenshire) and process over 3,400 cattle, 15,000 lambs and 28,000 pigs per week. So it’s a pretty big operation.
As a Skilled Slaughter Operative you would work within our Abattoir on the slaughter line and report directly into a Team Manager. Tasks would include:
- Operating equipment and machinery (which could include knife/bladed machinery) to prepare carcass for chilling
- Follow training in food safety to ensure a high quality, food safe products are produced for our customers
- Ensuring health and safety to create a safe working environment for self and colleagues
- Training in knife safety to minimise risks of injury
- Completing tasks as efficiently as possible in order to reduce waste and downtime and maximise yields and profits
- Working as part of a team, being supportive to colleagues and demonstrating a positive attitude and sharing knowledge
- Training new members of the team as required
- Work flexibly across multiple roles and areas within the Abattoir to ensure service levels are met
This role is a 40 hour contract and requires you to be able to work 5 over 7 days as required by business needs.
Why not take a look around one of our Manufacturing sites? Click here.
As well as being able to maintain a high level of concentration, you must also have:
- Previous experience in an abattoir environment
- A slaughter licence
- The ability to understand detailed training
- The ability to complete tasks within defined time limits
- Knife skills essential
- The ability to maintain a sterilised knife at all times when undertaking my role
- The ability to follow verbal instruction
In return you’ll get competitive pay rates, up to 6 weeks holiday (including bank holidays) and many benefits including a discount card for you and 2 more for friends or family members giving you 10% off your shopping in Morrisons. We also offer company share options, Retirement Saver, Free Life Assurance and much more.
About The Company
From a Bradford market stall to the UK’s 4th largest supermarket chain and the UK’s 2nd largest fresh food manufacturer.
We are proud to be the Yorkshire food retailer serving customers across the UK at just under 500 stores and an online home delivery service. Our 18 manufacturing sites provide our customers with the freshest produce from flowers, fish and veg to burgers and bread, all delivered to our stores via our 6 distribution sites by our 2,000 strong fleet.
Every week, 11 million customers pass through our doors and over 110,000 colleagues across the business work hard each day to deliver great service to them. We cover more than 11 million households with our Morrisons.com service. With competitive, permanently low prices we are committed to helping our customers save money every day.
We are foodmakers and shopkeepers and #wemakemorrisons.