A director of the firm which ran Boosbeck abattoir in North Yorkshire has been banned for seven years for failing to keep proper books and records.
Meat wholesaler Nahim Mohammed Banaras has been disqualified, from June 12, from acting as a company director or from managing, or in any way controlling, a limited company until 2024.
Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, Middlesbrough-born Greg Clark, accepted the seven year disqualification after hearing how North East Meats Limited (NEM), which traded from the Boosbeck abattoir site, went into liquidation on August 20, 2015 owing £1,128,393.
An Insolvency Service investigation found that from at least March 12, 2014, Mr Banaras “failed to maintain, preserve and deliver up records that were adequate to explain the financial position of NEM.”
The Boosbeck slaughterhouse was the subject of a long-running campaign by villagers, who said the noise, smells and disruption it caused were intolerable.
The High Street site had operated as an abattoir in the past but had lain dormant for years until, in 2011, Middlesbrough firm Banaras Halal Meats revealed plans to reopen it.
It did reopen in 2013 but proved controversial from the outset.
Last month, the abattoir was demolished to make way for a 69-home housing scheme.
Explaining 43-year-old Mr Banaras’ directorship ban, The Insolvency Service said that without complete records, it was impossible to “determine the legitimacy of at least £195,476 of credit stated to have been granted to a connected company for the destruction of purchased livestock.”
Also, the service added, NEM’s books and records had no evidence to verify the destruction of at least 2,827 animals.
It was also impossible to determine the “legitimacy of management charges” paid by NEM to a connected company, totalling £450,000.
Mr Banaras did not dispute the matter of unfitness in the disqualification undertaking.
full story – gazettelive.co.uk